Select Page

NORD User Group

NORD Updates

This topic contains 11 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Daniel Rekshan 1 month ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Daniel Rekshan
    Participant

NORD is under active development.  We will post new information here when we update NORD.

Daniel Rekshan
    Participant

NORD was just updated, if you run into any problems, please refresh your browser and if they persist, let me know.

Style Updates

You might notice NORD looks a little different.  Style updates include:

• New background color to highlight narrative texts and other cards
    • Numbers are formatted, so they become abbreviated when they are longer
    • Content tags and Word count boxes, located on the search and journal pages, are now collapsible, just click on the box title to expand it and see the chart

Site Performance

I’ve noticed sluggishness with NORD when saving a new entry and when searching the entire database.  I’m looking into how to make them faster, I anticipate I can do this within a week or so.

Upcoming Features

I integrated WordNet into NORD’s analysis engine.  WordNet is a huge database of word relations, so it can tell that the word “eagle” is related to “bird”, then to “animal”, and so on.  I’m working on a content exploration feature where you can see your journal content through this lens and you can drill down or summarize based on the WordNet database.

There will be two more Analysis boxes on the search and journal pages.  These will summarize the word counts according to WordNet’s classifications.  They are similar to the Content Counts analysis box, which is based Kelley Bukelley’s wordlists for content analysis.

– Daniel

Daniel Rekshan
    Participant

Site Performance Update

I discovered why the main NORD Search and Activity pages were running so slow.  It should be fixed now and the site should be more responsive.

It was slow because the Trends timeline chart requires data for every time period it shows, even if there’s no entries for that year.  There’s a couple of wrong dates in the database, so it was trying to show the timeline for a huge span, like 5,000 BC to 5,000 AD, and each of those years needed a datapoint.  The data object it used was about 100 times the size it should be and just slowed everything down.  I’m limiting the dates it shows to something reasonable (1900-2020) and it’s much quicker.

I’ll be working on this more as we go, but for now, if you accidentally enter a date before 1900 or after 2020, it may be hidden from search.  You can always get to all your entries under the “Journal > Edit Entries” link in the top right and then you can correct the date.

Daniel Rekshan
    Participant

Following Instead of Friends

I just updated NORD to using “follow” instead of “friends”, so like Twitter or Instagram instead of Facebook.  When you follow someone, their activities will show up in your personalized activity feed.

Please let me know if you experience any issue with the new following features.

Daniel Rekshan
    Participant

Updated Site Navigation

I updated the site navigation menu, it’s at the top of the window with the black background.  We hope it makes clear there are three main sections of the site (journal, groups, and search) and helps you navigate between them.  Feel free to let us know how it works for you by replying to this thread or sending us a message.

A common feedback point is that it’s hard to know what you can do on NORD and how to get there.  Updating the navigation menus is our first action item to address this point.  We’ll be updating navigation for within groups and user journals soon.  After the main navigation links are in place, we’ll spend some time making it pretty 🙂

Daniel Rekshan
    Participant

Site Navigation Updates

As part of our efforts to make NORD more user friendly, we added side bar menus to journal search and entry pages.  When you’re reading a journal entry or searching entries that are associated with a group or user profile, you’ll see the a navigation menus for that group or user.

Please let me know if you have any issues with this.

NORD Courses

We’re in the process of developing online courses to help facilitate group experiences and discussion.  You may see links or other items related to courses or classes as we build these features and we’ll provide updates as this develops.

Daniel Rekshan
    Participant

Profile Fields

I added new profile fields, which you can edit by navigating to your profile then clicking the ‘edit’ tab.  Profile information only shows up when someone visits your pages then selects the ‘profile’ menu item.

Daniel Rekshan
    Participant

A Note about Notes

It’s come to my attention that NORD Notes had a bug in it that prevented notes from being shared with groups or appearing on the entries they’re about.  Any notes you may have made are still there, its just that they weren’t added to the search index NORD uses to associate them with groups or entries.

I just fixed it, so any new notes going forward will be shared with groups (if you select that option) or on the entry (if its about an entry).  I’m looking into ways to make this fix retroactive, but for now, if you want to fix your existing notes, just make a small edit to the note.  I go to “View Notes” under the Journal menu, then use the “quick edit” button to edit the title and just add a space after the title.

There seems to be an occasional issue with using Notes in the comparison menu.  It happens sometimes and not others.  I’m looking into this as well and will provide an update when its fixed.

Daniel Rekshan
    Participant

Comparing with Notes Fixed

There was a bug that prevented the comparison feature from working in some cases, particularly when comparing a set of entries with all NORD entries.

When you select a set from the “select comparison” drop-down in the Analysis column of any search result or journal, you will see a side-by-side comparison in the Analysis column charts

Daniel Rekshan
    Participant

HUGE NORD UPDATE

NORD just went through a huge update!  We rebuilt and redesigned most of the based on user feedback from an early beta test group.  We learned that it was confusing to navigate, didn’t work well on the mobile, and needed more clarity around journal entries and their categories/tags.

Additionally, we rebuilt the backend of NORD so it’s easy to develop and make changes.  There’s more changes coming and we’ll update you here.

For Beta Users

Some of your content, like activity items and notes, have disappeared.  All your original content like journal entries, forum posts, and notes are transferred over to the new system or will be.  We’ve created a backup of the old system so we can recover any content.

The activity items in newsfeeds won’t come back (they’re too tied up in the old backend system to move over), but this doesn’t effect your original content.

We’re planning on bringing back Notes soon, which will include any notes you’ve written.  The experience creating and viewing notes didn’t feel up to par with our new system, so we’re going to take our time to do it right and will update you when the new Notes experience is up and running.

Comments, Ideas, and Bugs  

As always, we’re open to hearing your thoughts and are committed to making this a great experience.  Feel free to contact us to report bugs or share your thoughts.

Daniel Rekshan
    Participant

Share entries with other users

A user recently asked to be able to share entries directly with other users, so we built this feature.  Let us know if you have any ideas and we’ll do our best to make it happen.

You can share an entry with a user you are following. To do this, you’d create or edit an entry, then select the username you’d like to share with under the “Share with User” box. This will send the user a private message to let them know you’ve shared the entry. If you share a private entry with a user, that user will be able to view the private entry.

To follow a user, navigate to their profile page and click the “Follow” button near their profile pictures.

Private entries shared with groups bug

There were a couple of bugs that over-protected private entries shared with groups.  With the recent work on sharing private entries, all these issues should be resolve.  Please let me know if you experience any more issues with sharing private entries or viewing private entries shared with you.

Following users

I also discovered another bug where the “following” tab of the main NORD newsfeed showed all site updates, not just updates from users you are following.  This bug is fixed, so when you click the “following” tab on the main NORD newsfeed, you should only see updates from users you are following.

Daniel Rekshan
    Participant

Bot Spam and Login Captchas

It’s come to my attention that a bot spammer registered for NORD and sent spam messages and comments.  Bot spam comes from scripts that run and try to add content to various sites around the internet for various purposes.  These spam users have access to the site similar to you, they signed up just like normal and haven’t hacked in or anything.

The fact that it showed up on NORD is not concerning and does not mean NORD is less secure, hacked, or compromised.  In fact, it was to be expected because the registration form and login forms are wide open to the public.  We decided to keep our forms as open as possible to allow you to sign up easily, then to address issues like these as they arise.

I’ve deleted the spam and spam user, as well as installed a Captcha checkbox on the login and registration forms. In some cases, you’ll be presented with the checkbox to verify that you are not a bot.  We’ll keep an eye out and take measures if we see more spam users.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.